If you are reading this I am assuming that you are a big art lover? Maybe after years of visiting art galleries and admiring artist’s work online you are ready to commission your own piece of art for your home. I’m going to tell you how to find artist to commission a piece of art.
How To Find Artist You Like
- Sign up for an account on PINTEREST as this is a great place to find artists you like. Pinterest is a very visual place to find art that you lik Artists have boards to which they display their artwork often by category or colour such as abstract art, animal art, blue wall art etc. Be aware, Pinterest is addictive and you could find yourself going down the rabbit hole and getting lost, haha.
- A simple GOOGLE search will allow you to find local art fairs, craft markets, makers stalls and even local art walks near you. These art fairs, local makers’ markets and even art walks are an amazing way to find amazing new artists to commission a piece of art.
- Another great way to find artists you like is to browse through DIY and home decorating blogs and interior design websites. The subject of original paintings, abstract art and art for your home is always of interest to those decorating their homes.
- Independent coffee shops and cafes often display local artists’ work on their walls. The artwork on display is often for sale and will have the information of the artist for you to contact directly. This is a great way to find artists that you can commission original paintings.
- Why not visit a local art college or university art show to see all of the talented artists on show, you never know, you may just find an artist that you love.
- Probably one of the most common ways to find artists is to use an art sales website such as ArtFinder , Saatchi art amoungst many more but know that these art websites take a large commission fee from the artist which is not the case with the other options mentioned above.
Art Commission Websites
So here are Some of the best places to commission art
My Art Brief is a website that allows you to commission artists with the click of a button
Etsy.com is another great option for commissioning artist to make you an original piece of art.
Commissionit.co.uk allows you to commission artist in the UK.
Degreeart.com is another example of a good website to commission an artist
There are many similar website where you can commission an artist that you like, simply google art commission websites to see more.
Art Commission Etiquette
So you have have found an artist and style that you like and have an idea of the piece you want ot create. But how do you go about asking an artist to create an original piece of art for you?
Start by reaching out to the artist you like to see if they are taking commissions. Serious artist will be easy to find on-line.
First impressions count so try to make the initial contact a pleasant one. This might seem obvious but lots of artist including myself often get barked at these days. For example I have had messages like “much is that?” This puts me right off even replying.
Don’t be vague but instead provide the artist with as much detail as possible, such as quality reference images,colours, detailed your vision etc. The more detail you can offer them the better the result.
Some artist will have a contract in place which includes timescales,price and general terms. Often artist will ask for 50% up front or some kind of deposit which is normal.
Have fun and enjoy the process. Check-in with the artist pretty often, ask for progress, if things are on the wrong track, communicate this politely and discuss to get the piece to where you want it. It can be a fun process for both so be kind and understanding.
Art Commission Prices
If the artist you are going to contact has their work listed for sale on their website or social media pages then this can offer a ballpark idea of prices. They may even have price lists for commissions too.
However, pricing for custom commissions are most likely different. This may be based on size, materials, detail and time involved etc. It is best to politely request what it is you want and they can offer a realistic cost for this.
Whatever the subject of the artwork that you wish to commission is, please remember that really should be a really fun and rewarding experience for both the artist and the person commissioning the piece.
Hope this has helped you and I wish you luck in finding aritists to commission.